We live in a world of uncertainty. It is critical that we all stay vigilant. Just the other day, multiple explosives were found in New York and New Jersey. The suspect is described as a lone wolf terrorist. He had no history of violence. His family owned a business. He was an American citizen.
Where did it go wrong?
This suspect seemingly slipped through the cracks of our national security. Let this serve as a reminder to all United States citizens to stay vigilant.
Here are 10 Ways You Can Stay vigilant:
- IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING – This is first for a reason. Plain and simple: If you get that bad feeling in your gut about a suspicious situation, then call for appropriate assistance.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings – Avoid distractions when out in public places. Minimize cell phone use, reduce your music volume, and look around while traveling in busy areas. Don’t keep your head down. Be sure to look around often.
- Be Knowledgeable of Threats – For example, if you see suspicious packages or backpacks that are unattended in busy areas, call the police immediately.
- Walk with a Purpose – Predators and criminals seek to victimize the weak. Do not portray yourself as weak. Walk with your head up and with a purpose. Look like your are prepared and focused. If everybody does this, then criminals will have a hard time finding easy targets.
- Self-Defense – Know your right to defend yourself. If you have a license to carry and conceal a firearm, then do so. Carry some sort of weapon to defend yourself. Even if all you have are your car keys. Learn how to use them to defend yourself if needed.
- Communicate with Those Around You – Do you think something looks suspicious, but are too nervous or afraid to call the police? Get a second and third opinion. Get others involved. More eyes and ears dedicated to public safety is always preferred.
- Leave Space When Driving – If you are stopped at a red light or stop sign behind another vehicle, then leave enough space so that you can drive around that car if needed. Do not get boxed in. Always have an escape route.
- Sit Facing Towards Entrances – Keep an eye on entrances to buildings and businesses. Always give yourself the advantage of seeing danger before it sees you.
- Know Your Limits – The human reaction to danger is the following: Freeze, Fight, Flight. You will always freeze, some longer than others, before a decision is made to fight or flight. Be quick to decide. Every second counts in an emergency situation.
- Know How to Use Silent 9-1-1 – If you are in a situation in which you cannot make noise due to imminent danger, then use the following silent 9-1-1 system by pressing the following buttons on your phone accordingly:
Staying vigilant is a team effort. By remaining vigilant, we increase our public safety and domestic security. We are all in this together. From all of us in the private security industry, we are with you. Let’s keep America as safe as possible.